- Based on my wedding date, how soon do I need to order my invitations? Here are Raspberry Creative, we recommend getting your stationery vendor locked in soon after you have the BIG items like venue and date secured. While in some ways that may seem early, if you plan to order save-the-dates and wedding invitations from the same place, it’s the right time. Save the dates should be mailed out 6-8 months before your wedding so depending on printing techniques, the complexity of your design and how custom it is, you may need upwards of 6-12 weeks for your save the dates.
- How long does the process take to get my wedding stationery? Once you have the big details of your wedding finalized, you should begin to get an idea of when you’d ideally like to mail out your invitations. With that date in mind, ask your potential stationer how long their process takes to see if it will work for you. Wedding invitations typically should be mailed out 6-8 weeks before your wedding. If you are having a destination wedding, you should plan on 10-12 weeks. While every company is different, calligraphy can add 2-3 months to the process so it’s good to start early and figure out what services you will need and plan backwards.
- How does your ordering, design and finishing process work? This is an important question. Unless you are ordering a design from an online retailer with little to no customizations, you should make sure you are clear on the entire process. This would include knowing what is actually included in your package and what would be additional fees. If you don’t like your designs, can they be changed, how many rounds of proofs do you get, what is considered a rush order, etc. Also make sure you understand the payment terms. Is there a deposit and if so, how much. Is it refundable if things don’t work out? Will I receive a schedule to know when proofs are due, when production should start and when my invitations will be to me? Is there someone I can call, text or email should I have any questions or concerns? Make sure you understand and take the time to read your contract carefully before signing it.
- How much does it cost or is there a minimum cost? This is usually the first question I get when meeting a couple for the first time. Most couples have no idea what invitations actually cost and looking online makes it even more confusing because there are so many different price points and they may not see or understand the differences. Here at Raspberry Creative, we understand this and are here to help you figure this out but it is important for you to be realistic about how much you are comfortable spending before diving into picking a wedding stationery package. Having at least a general starting point for your stationer will help you get a sense of whether or not you can afford your perfect invitation or if you actually can get more than you expected. While we did make the decision in 2017 to include starting prices on our website, depending on your ideas and how complex your project is, prices can vary from $500 to $5000 and beyond!
- Do I have to be local to the stationer I am considering? Last summer Raspberry Creative attended a large wedding expo in Philadelphia. We are just under three hours away from center city so while we aren’t across the country, we aren’t local either and I was surprised by how many brides walked away because we weren’t just down the street. The reality is that we have successfully worked with couples all over the country and world. From Florida and California to Alaska, Great Britain, Sweden and Australia. With Email, phones and international shipping, we really are not limited at all as to who we can work with. We worked through a translator with the couple in Sweden! Here at Raspberry Creative, you receive the same, personal service whether you are across town or the world!
- Will I see a complete sample before I order? We get this question almost as often as we are asked about price. A quality company will be more than happy to provide you with a few random samples before you order so that you can have the opportunity to see the quality before committing. With that said, it is not customary to receive an exact sample of your design and information. It is important, after deciding to move forward, that you receive paper samples, inks and proofs so that you can approve them before everything is finished. This is especially important because colors may look different when viewed online compared to when they are printed. Please understand though that many of these things are not done until you have officially hired a stationer for their own protection so that people do not take their samples and copy them.
- How do I know how many invitations I need to order? One of the most common mistakes couples make when ordering their wedding stationery is order based on total head count. As a starting estimate we always tell couples to cut their headcount in half to start getting a more accurate quantity because most guests are invited as a couple. Another mistake we see couples make is ordering the exact number based on couples / households with no extras and then at the last minute need 5-10+ more. Planning ahead and adding some extra right from the start will give you the extras you may find you need down the road and save you some stress. Most invitations come in increments of 25. Don’t let those extras scare you. Get them because you’ll be happy you did!
- What about wording? I have no idea how to word my invitation so do you help with that? Very few couples know exactly what they want their invitation to say. A good stationer will provide you with samples and hopefully even a guide to help you navigate proper etiquette and know what the right wording is for your wedding. While a good stationer can be your guide, it is up to you to provide the correct details such as the spelling of names, times, dates and the information that you need your guests to know. You are just as responsible for checking text and not just the design during your proof reviews.
- Do you design day of items like programs, signs, banners, etc. so that everything matches? Some couples enjoy shopping around at different places for all their day-of details but others really love the idea of everything matching and being able to shop for all their stationery in one place. If having a well-branded wedding is important to you, make sure you know what additional products and services your stationer provides.
- Do you stuff our envelopes, add postage or do calligraphy? Just like understanding the process, it is also important to understand what services your stationer provides. Make sure you know if you have to order extra envelopes for mistakes or for calligraphy. Find out if they add postage if there is an additional service charge for that or if it’s just the cost of postage. Also make sure you understand how assembled they come. Some stationers provide you with all the pieces but you have to assemble the invitations yourself and then stuff the envelopes. Here at Raspberry Creative, unless we are also doing postage, we fully assemble your invitations short of stuffing your envelopes.
Join the RC Tribe
Subscribe for the latest content, members-only discounts and freebies, be the first to know about new products as well as pro tips and inspiration!